Monday, February 9, 2009

First Day!!!!

I spent weeks preparing for the first class. I had a great PowerPoint presentation prepared. I rehearsed it. I factored in some time for student interaction, questions and answers, discussion. I was excited. I ran off copies of my materials. I was set.

I got to class. Did attendance. Ran through my PowerPoint, was feeling pretty satisfied with myself and then I looked at the clock. 25 minutes.

I ran through what I thought was 2 hours worth of material in 25 minutes. I had an hour and a half to kill and a room full of students staring at me and and and...

ARRRGGHHHH!

I fell back on an old teaching standard. I showed them a movie. It was related to the topic. I found it in 10 minute chunks on YouTube. It's a made-for-television movie called "Pirates of the Silicon Valley," about Bill Gates and Steve Jobs. I sat in the dark and stressed out-- how had I so seriously misjudged how long the class would take? YIKES!

No comments:

Post a Comment